1985 B.S. College of Pharmacy, Seoul National University, Korea
1987 M.S. Graduate School, Seoul National University, Korea
1992 Ph.D. Graduate School, Seoul National University, Korea
1993 Post-Doc Korea Research Institute of Chemical Technology, Korea
1994 Research Associate Washington State University, U.S.A.
1) Molecular structure determination of bioactive principles by X-ray diffraction.
2) Crystallography of biological macromolecules
3) Prediction of bioactivity ba
sed on 3D-structures and physicochemical properties.
1) The crystal structure of pirprofen, A non-steroidal antiinflammatory agent, Arch. Pharm. Res., 19(1), 71-73 (1996)
2) KR-25003, A potent analgesic capsaicinoid, Acta Crystallogr., C51, 927-929 (1995
3) An Approach to Computer-Aided Drug Design, Pharmacon, 21(1), 20-29 (1991)
Soo Jae Lee
2001 Osaka University PhD in Macromolecular Science
1999 Osaka University MS in Macromolecular Science
1989 Seoul National University BS in Pharmacy
2007 - 2009 Chungbuk National University, Chairman (Department of Manufacturing Pharmacy)
2006 - present Chungbuk National University, Associate Professor (Department of Manufacturing Pharmacy)
2004 - 2006 MRC-LMB, Cambridge, UK, Post-doctoral fellow
2002 - 2004 Department of Medicine, Osaka University, Post-doctoral fellow
1989 – 1996 ChungWae Pharm. Co., Senior Scientist
1) Our group has been focused on the crystallization of protein-protein or protein-RNA complexes, especially nuclear transport related protein complexes including importin-β family. A eukaryotic cell is divided into two major compartments, nucleus and cytoplasm by nuclear envelope. Intracellular signals are transmitted via the continuous and bi-directional transport of proteins between the nucleus and the cytoplasm through nuclear pores. To elucidate the molecular basis for such intracellular communication in atomic level, we crystallize and solve the structure of nuclear-cytoplasmic carrier proteins. In addition, our research interests include the regulation mechanism of the transport on the basis of X-ray crystal structures.
1) Nishio K, Ogasahara K, Morimoto Y, Tsukihara T, Lee S.J.a, Yutani K.a (2010) Large conformational changes in the Escherichia coli tryptophan synthase β2 subunit upon pyridoxal 5`-phosphate binding. FEBS J. 277, 9, 2157-2170 (a corresponding author )
2) Okada C*., Yamashita E*., Lee S.J*,a., Shibata S., Katahira J., Nakagawa A., Yoneda Ya., Tsukihara Ta. (2009) A high-resolution structure of the pre-microRNA nuclear export machinery Science 27, 326, 1275-1279 ( * equally contributed author, a corresponding author )
3) Lee S.J., Ogasahara K., Ma J., Nishio K., Ishida M., Yamagata Y., Tsukihara T., Yutani K. (2005) Conformational Changes in the Tryptophan Synthase from a Hyperthermophile upon α₂β₂ Complex Formation : Crystal Structure of the Complex Biochemistry 44, 11417-11427